Crispy Baked Tofu Creole
Creole cooking can be a bit of a challenge for people who are completely plant-based. But not here! Here, I use my crispy-baked tofu method to replace the role of the shrimp. The combination of pressing the tofu dry, then coating it with the creole-seasoned cornstarch mix makes for a flavorful and satisfying alternative to shrimp.
Crispy Tofu Ingredients:
- 2 blocks firm tofu
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut each block of tofu into four long slices, then place on a cookie sheet in between a folded kitchen towel. Set two more cookie sheets on top and let stand 30 minutes to press dry.
- Combine all the dry spice, salt, pepper, and cornstarch in a small mixing bowl and mix well.
- Brush each side of the tofu slices with soy sauce, then sprinkle half the dry corn starch seasoning mix evenly over each tofu slice. Lightly pat with oil, then turn over, oiled-side-down onto a non-stick baking tray or a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the remaining half of the dry corn starch seasoning mix evenly over the top of each tofu slice, then brush each slice with the remaining oil. Bake for 30 minutes, turning over once, halfway through the cooking process.
- While the tofu is baking, make the vegetable creole.
Vegetable Creole Ingredients:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2/3 cup diced onions
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced red bell peppers
- 3/4 cup diced green bell peppers
- 3/4 cup diced carrots
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups sliced colorful cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups Wholesome Crave Tomato Basil Soup
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup red wine
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
Veggie Creole Steps:
- Heat a large soup pot over medium high flame until hot. Add the oil, then add the onions, celery, peppers, and carrots. Sauté five minutes.
- Add the dried spices and garlic and sauté another five minutes or until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, soup and wine. Bring to a rapid simmer, then reduce the heat to low and cook 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the tofu from the oven, and cut each rectangle from corner-to-corner to create two long triangles from each slice.
- Spoon 4 to 6 ounces of creole sauce into four warmed bowls. Spoon 1/2 cup cooked rice into the center of each bowl. Arrange four triangles of tofu around the rice in each bowl and serve.