Teriyaki Tofu with Brown Rice and Snap Peas
Our Spiced Carrot Soup has a nice hint of Southeast Asian “zing” because of the ginger, turmeric and Mint. This makes it the perfect base for marinated tofu! Tip: tofu comes in 14 ounce to 1 pound blocks. Either one will give you four dinner-size portions. Cut the tofu block into half inch slices. Place the tofu between two clean kitchen towels and set a couple of cookie sheets on top and allow to press for at least a half an hour. This will remove all of the liquid, and will ensure the teriyaki coating adheres, whether you grill, sauté, or fry it!
Tip: There are some terrific pre cooked brown rice, red rice, and mixed rice products that can be quickly reheated in a pan or microwave. Just follow the package instructions.
- Place the pressed tofu on a dish large enough to hold all four pieces. Spoon some of the teriyaki sauce over each piece of tofu. Turn the slices over and spoon more sauce over each slice, making sure the tofu is well coated. Set aside.
- To cook the rice, follow package instructions for your favorite brand of brown rice. Most brown rice takes 45 to 55 minutes to cook, giving you plenty of time to move through all the next steps. OR, to save time, use the pre-cooked rice I refer to above.
- Cut sugar snap peas into ¼ inch pieces.
- Heat the soup in a medium sauce pot. Stir half of the sliced snap peas into the soup and let stand.
- When the rice is finished, stir half the sliced snap peas into the hot rice and let stand.
- Light the grill and keep on medium high heat. Use an old towel dipped into canola or grape-seed oil to oil the grill grates.
- Pat the tofu dry and brush with oil on both sides. Grill the tofu about three to four minutes on each side.
- Spoon four ounces of soup into the center of four warmed bowls. Spoon the rice and pea mixture into the center of each bowl.
- Place the grilled tofu on top of the rice and drizzle over with the remaining teriyaki sauce.
Serves four people.
- 1 block of tofu, pressed dry
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1-1/2 cup sliced sugar snap peas
- 1-quart Spiced Carrot Soup
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, kept warm